Thursday, October 12, 2006

My mum

My mum turned 60 on the first of this month. She doesn't speak any English at all. I've tried to make her say a few words and phrases but she still gets mixed up with 'good morning' and 'good evening' and when she says 'thank you' it sounds more like 'thenky' no matter how many times I've told her the right way to say it. She had to leave school at 14 because her teacher chose her to look after her kids and clean her house (a great honour at that time!) so she never received any decent education. But now she is regaining time and learning all those skills that she missed due to the society she had to live in. She is doing plenty of things: literature and math lessons, computing workshops and what she has turned out to be quite good at, painting:



Not bad for someone with no training or visual education. I'm well proud of her.

2 comments:

CBM said...

Wow, it's so great that your mum has found a love of painting. I would say she's very talented too.

Anonymous said...

I love her paintings. I enjoy painting too but mine are awful. When I first bought some paints I automatically assumed I would be able to paint. Let's just say I was horrified at the outcome!